Saturday, November 29, 2008

If I had to name the one reason why living in Phnom Penh is great, that reason would be exemplified by this story: I just jumped off the tuk-tuk at the end of my street and started walking to my house (well the apartment I’m staying in at the moment – more on that in a minute). After spending my Saturday working from 11-5 while slightly hungover, there was one thing on my mind and I was racing home to partake, when a group of guys in a parked tuk-tuk said “hi” to me. Actually they said suk s’bay te, which means “hi.” I recognized one as a moto driver that I use often who hangs out/stays/lives somewhere on the street. No one else knew me and no one spoke a word of english. I realized that a party was afloat, and by “party” I mean they were drinking, in other words enjoying Saturday to the fullest. I quickly get offered a drink, apparently for being cool, or white, or just because they like to share. The bottle is glass (good sign), with remnants of a label and filled with a dark liquid. It kinda looked like Special Muscle Wine, a khmer delicacy that is supposedly made with deer penis or deer blood, but lacked the normal purple hew. The moto driver pours the liquor into a makeshift cup made from a the top of a plastic soda bottle that had been cut off and turned upside down with cap as the bottom. There is no doubt in my mind that this cup came from someone’s “recyclables.” [side note: there’s no such thing as recycling here. But people do constantly scour the trash for all sorts of bottles and cans (somehow they get money for bringing used cans and bottles somewhere) and anything else that can be reused.] Well at this point it’s too late to refuse and honestly I never really considered not drinking the liquor, even though I didn’t know what I was about to drink and I’d drinking it out of garbage. It’s pretty tasty and after working all day, hit the spot. Then I’m given a piece of an omelet. Then another drink followed by a chicken wing. We converse a bit and then I’m on my way. So to sum up: 2 drinks, a piece of omelet and a chicken wing all from random guys hanging out of the street – perfect way start a Saturday night.

I just signed a lease for an apartment. I’ve been house-sitting for some friends. Anyway, it’s the second floor of a traditional wooden Khmer house. It’s has two bedrooms, two balconies, a living room, dining room, kitchen, bathroom. I even got the owner to buy a washing machine for me. I’ll take some pictures once I move in on the 10th. And since it has two bedrooms all you people now have no excuse to not visit.

I went up to siem reap a couple weekends ago to check out the temples and visit the cambodian las vegas. here are couple pictures from the trip: the waterfall is at Phnom Kulen, the holiest sight in Cambodia - atop the mountain carved into a huge boulder is a giant sleeping buddha and the rest of the mountain contains dozens of giant rocks naturally in the shape of various animals. The other picture is Angkor Thom - one of the major temples at the Angkor Wat complex.




Sorry no quotes today - but the murder rate of alleged sorcerers and black magic practitioners continues to grow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Zach I love reading about your adventures..congrats on the apartment!-Kate

Anonymous said...

Zach, you're adventures suck .. get some better ones