Friday, June 1, 2007

The best thing about Cambodia is the beer. They import Beer Lao here and it is delicious-light refreshing with a hint of citrus. I must've drank about 10 yesterday. I hear they can't import the beer into the US because Laos doesn't have adequate health regulations. And by adequate I mean none. It's odd that Laos can't figure out democracy or freedom, but they brew beer with the best of them. I think this just goes to show that you can away with a lot so long as you have a good beer.

The worst thing about Cambodia are the tuk-tuk drivers. For those who don't know, tuk-tuks are like taxis, except they're just carriages hooked up to the back of motos. It's a great way to get around town, but everywhere I go I get asked if I want a ride by at leat 3 or 4 different tuk-tuk drivers. This all started the first night I got here as I walked the ten feet from my cab to my hotel with all my luggage. I couldn't believe it. "You want tuk-tuk?" "No, I don't want a tuk-tuk. I'm going into my hotel." If they wanted to be helpful they could've offered to carry my bags.

Phnom Phen is an enormous playground. You can get/find anything you want at anytime. It's amazing. There are also a lot of interns here, though not necessarily at my place of employment. A bunch of interns from dc-cam and I want to this huge ex-pat party at some bar last night. The bar was an outside lounge complete with a pool in the middle. Needless to say, after a few drinks the idea of jumping in the unchlorinated pool with your clothes on seems like a great idea. good times. The DC-Cam kids really make this place feel like I'm on the Real-World. Why don't they have a Real-World Cambodia? Everything legitimately costs a dollar and you can do whatever you want.

I start work on Monday and we apparently have 3 days of orientation. What they're going to tell us for 3 days is beyond me, but I'm sure I'll find it amusing. oh yeah, and as I was telling some people before I left, my job has restricted me from living in certain areas of the city. At first I thought this wasn't a big deal, and chalked it up to sketchy areas of Phnom Phen. Well, it turns out that one of the areas is where all the backpackers stay and hang out. The area is cheap, laid-back and sits on the shore of a huge lake. I'm not happy about this and unless they have some really good reasons for restricting my movements, I might be breaking this "suggested" rule rather soon.

No comments: